Thursday, November 17, 2011

Old and New Patterns


As a store owner I have frequently been approached to buy old publications from customers dealing with the closing of a knitter’s estate. On most occasions the goodies were simply given to me to do with as I pleased.  Of course I still have most of what was given to me in my possession.  Since I closed my store/studio and on several occasions, I have tried to weed out magazines I know I will never read or use for design inspiration. 

Today I reviewed a Fall-Winter 1962 and Spring-Summer 1963 Vogue. With the exception of photography, styling, poses and fifty years, nothing has changed.  The garments have a very contemporary appeal, especially for corporate professionals; but what has changed are construction techniques. 

For example this cape from the 1965  Reynolds Knitting Patterns Vol 41 is knitted in pieces (Back, 2 Left Front Panels, and 2 Right Front Panels, 2 Pockets).  The finishing is as follows:  Block pieces to measurements.  Cut lining to correspond with each piece, allow 1” for seams and 2” for darts at each shoulder.  Sew side and shoulder seams . . .
It continues with sewing instructions that we just don’t see in today's knitting magazines. I have to admit the garments from these old publications, have an attractive tailored quality.

This pattern, minus the lining, could very easily be adapted to circular construction.    

No comments:

Post a Comment